Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A week of weeks...

So when I planned my big Sunday breakfast because it was going to be a big week I meant strictly school. It's three days later, less than 48 hours from my first anatomy practical, and this week had been full of interesting events.

Sunday:

First of all breakfast was terrific - french toast, bacon, juices, fruit, coffee - the whole spread. I was joined by a colleague, and we followed the meal with a fairly productive study session. Then it started raining inside the kitchen.

Okay, maybe I exagerate. So in the middle of a discussion about the contribution of DNA-protein interactions to the rate of transcription and translation, the roof started leaking. It wasn't that bad of a leak even. I called my landlord during our lunch break, and he promptly came over, investigated, and seemed eager to find a reasonable solution.

Later in the day, during a follow-up study session, it REALLY rained. And I mean 6" of standing water in the front yard kind of rain. Oh, and of course, 3" of mud along with it. But you see, we were still in the kitchen. And you guessed it, it rained inside. There were puddles even, about two feet wide. Awesome.

Buckets to the rescue! And back to the books.

Monday:

So the plan was to meet the two Johns in the anatomy lab for a 5:30 AM review session. Man I wanted to make in on time. But man, I didn't want to wake up at 5:00 AM. I made by 6:15. Oh, and I totally took the best nap that afternoon.

I might not have needed the nap so much if I wouldn'tve had to borrow a shovel from the construction workers across the street to clear the mud from the walkway to my apartment building. I didn't particularly feel like shoveling mud at 8:30 in the morning. But I felt even less like slipping on the mud and cracking my skull open on an island without a tertiary care hospital. So I shoveled away. By the way, have you ever shoveled wet mud from a textured cement path, in the hot sun, covered in, after standing around cadavers for several hours? Try it sometime. Tons of fun.

Tuesday:

Despite my STILL not wanting to get up at 5:00 AM, I realized the tremendous help the previous morning was, as well as the benefit of a quiet anatomy lab. So I got up at 5:15. And because I was still adjusting to the time warp shift of getting up so early, I treated myself to a morning nap on Tuesday.

Delicious.

Wednesday:

Yep, 5:15 AM again today. Smooth as silk. I mean, I didn't WANT to wake up, but I didn't mind as much today.

But the best part of today, speaking of construction workers, is the work that's taking place outside my apartment at this very moment. It's just after 7:30 PM. It's pitch black. And there are about 8 guys standing around watching a backhoe tear up the road completely. I am assuming it has to do with water drainage (remember the 6" of water in the yard). But who really knows?

The most amazing thing about it all is that it just happens. There's one road leading up the trail past my apartment. And they just tore it up completely. There are no barricades, no signs, no warnings, no 'watch out' for the little children, or for that matter, for the preoccupied medical students worried more about the insertion and origin of the extensor policis longus and it's innervation then where they are walking.

Luckily, the workers were nice enough to place a pair of 12' long, 2"x6" wooden planks across the 8' gap in the road, in case you don't want to take the 15 minute detour and walk all the way around the trail. Brilliant! Just brilliant!

Thankfully, I've got buckets for the leaks, plenty of food in case it floods (thanks folks & kel), and all the books and papers I need to finish studying for my exams. And even though I'm getting up at 5:15 AM again tomorrow, at least I won't have to walk the plank on my way to the lab.

Hopefully, because they're still working out there. *Crosses fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo!! Big Ups to you Doctor. We just learned about the blog from your mom. Good Luck in Exam week and cant wait to catch up with the stories. Some of the firsts I read are hillarious. Again congratulations, good luck and keep it IRIE Mon!!!!

Much love from the OC!!! Dany/Yoly