Thursday, September 27, 2007

The grind

And no, I don't mean some crappy MTV hip-hop-themed dance show...

Exams are coming up strong - 1 week to go. And it doesn't stop. I love it though, as stressful as it is. I love actually learning the things presented during lectures. I dig getting things in my head, and then being able to get them out again. And I'm thrilled be not losing my mind in the process.

Speaking of learning, I'm still tweaking the way I approach studying. As we get further and further along, some of my earlier techniques (concept mapping for example), don't seem to help as much with memory recall as I would have hoped. It's definitely an amazing tool for visually organizing information (especially with some of the more disorganized lecturers).

I don't know if at this point it's a matter of not having the time to connect things the way I would want, or it's just that it's not as effective at getting it all in my brain permanently, but either way, I've switched gears.



Thanks to Kelly's latest contribution of dry-erase sheets, I've converted my kitchen into a study hall of sorts. And now I spend my afternoons, evenings, late nights, and sometimes mornings, drawing out as much information as I possibly can. That's right, I physically draw out mechanisms, structures, everything. Be it biochem, anatomy, histology, it all seems to work. It is unfortunately very time consuming, but it's the best way I've found to learn and capture the information that's thrown at me everyday.

Well enough about that, it's dissection time! Axillas beware!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ERP: I love how you put those sheets and blue tape to use. You can both study and decorate your apt. at the same time.

kel.photography said...

i love it! looks like you're doing great!
and it really adds some beautiful decor the place has been missing out on. :)

Victoria Amparo said...

true!