Friday, September 7, 2007

A week like a lifetime

They just redirted the dirt road outside my apartment, and it looks as good as ever.

I was just chatting with Kelly, and she congratulated me on completing my first week of medical school. I laughed a little inside when she did, because I actually hadn't noticed. At first I thought that was a little sad, but when I got to thinking about it, I think it's good that I'm already in a bit of a groove here, and thinking of other things.

The main thing on my mind today was WHITE COAT, and to a lesser extent, how hot it is when you're all done up for a white coat ceremony.

So for those who don't know, the white coat ceremony is a symbolic welcome and transition to the profession of medicine. They actually have a doctor put the coat on you, as you can see in the pictures below. We were also given a pin from the Arnold P. Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine, or the Foundation Pin as they call it here, and interestingly enough, then we all read a prayer, specifically the Morning Prayer of the Physician by Maimonides. There was also some pomp and circumstance which I won't bore you with (including a short speech by the Prime Minister of Dominica), but it did make it all seem a bit more ceremonious.

Oh, and the hot thing, well, you try getting all done up in a shirt and tie and climbing up a dirt hill at one o'clock in the afternoon, on a tropical island. But I won't linger on the negative. Let's just say I didn't waste too much time before coming home and getting into some more suitable attire for this climate (Thank the Lord for A/C).

At the ceremony I took the time to congratulate the few people I've befriended here so far. And I thought as I looked at the over 400 students, and considered the attrition/failure rate here, 'You really just have to enjoy every moment, and give it all you've got.'

I have to admit, as far as this first week of classes is concerned, parts of it were tough. Not necessarily the classes, but the whole adjustment to this new life, and I think I'm making strides. But there's still a long way to go. Interestingly, I've heard a lot of people say that also along the way you have to take care of yourself, and have some fun. So tomorrow, I'm going whale-watching. For now, I got my white coat, I've been through my first week of classes, and I'm starting to settle in.

I want to send a humongous hug to my family, and all the love in the world to Kelly. Thank you guys for all your support. I wish you could've been here today. But, at least, here are some pictures.









1 comment:

kel said...

you look sooo handsome! look at that future doctor! i am so happy for you!

i love you.