Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Act II. Scene 3 - Worlds Apart

In the heat of the moment, when I'm busy-busy-busy, I forget how far away I am from my love. But the days tread on, steady-steady-steady, as do I. And I remind myself why I love her so...

But that's not what brings these here words today, sirs and madams. I happen to be able to relate to you, the events of not so long ago...

Recently, I had the fortune of visiting one of the school computer labs during a rather busy time of day, and sending a host of documents into a rather long queue. As I waited for the queue to turn, and my papers to appear, I figured I would take some time and peruse the online offerings I could perhaps purchase for the impending day of romantic celebration. I sat quietly, one ear busy behind an earphone, and browsed a website selling things I had no use for, neither in medical school, nor as a man in the eyes of current American societal standards.

The voice next to me, then asked, "Who's birthday is it?"

I looked towards my right, at a gentleman I did not recall ever meeting, or ever being introduced to. "Valentine's day is on the horizon," I replied.

He looked at his analog watch, and then replied, sounding rather awestruck, "Oh, yeah, I guess it's almost that time."

At that point, I thought our pleasant conversational engagement would have ended. Perhaps it may have indulged in a formality or two.

He then turned back to me, and hoarsely said, "I'm glad I don't have to worry about that shit." He fumbled his last three words, as a child does when learning to hold a heavy object. But he spoke them nonetheless.

I was quiet for a second. Time slowed in my perception, as I attempted to conceive of a response. The reactions and collisions that occurred for me to attempt to conceptualize things in the same terms were simply too exhausting. I resorted to, "In the end, you get back what you put in."

The man, now no longer gentle, made a few more comments, attempting to make a humorous reference out of his original question, tying it to insinuations of personal preference for feminine items and privacy issues.

I replaced the second earphone... Some people.

No comments: